Background

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Suffer the little ones

Have you heard about the Tiger Mom Phenomenon?

You haven't? The ENTIRE Internet is a buzz about it. Take a few minutes and read the article here.

Ok? Read it?

While I certainly have my own opinions regarding parenting, as I'm sure you do I can't imagine calling this little man "garbage"
Can you?
Mark 9:42
And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.

Mark 10:14
Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

While it's important to encourage our children, teach them discipline, develop talents and educate them, it's more important to nurture and love them

“Bring up your children in the love and fear of the Lord; study their dispositions and their temperaments, and deal with them accordingly, never allowing yourself to correct them in the heat of passion; teach them to love you rather than to fear you.” (Discourses of Brigham Young, sel. John A. Widtsoe, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1941, p. 207.)


“Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost [and only then I think]; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;
Gordon B. Hinkley

I personally think these great and inspired men are a better parenting gauge than "Tiger Mom"


The good thing today: my husband managed to get the boys to clean up that toy room! (I give it one day) ;)


Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails